The Dental Hygienist will support the mission of the Ozarks Community Health Center. Our mission is to provide greater access to quality, compassionate, and professional healthcare through our comprehensive health system and community partnerships.
Individual is cross trained to function in several areas to provide dental hygiene, dental assisting and clerical support services; actively and consistently contributes to the department operations and communications; operates as primary hygiene to the OCHC Dental staff dentist and/or volunteer dentists who work in the clinic; behaves in a manner consistent with the mission and objectives of OCHC and performs other duties as requested.
- Brings patient back for dental appointment in a timely manner.
- Enter/updates patient health history and medication at each appointment to ensure all information is current.
- Completes patient intake at each appointment ensuring all information is gathered and entered correctly.
- Does a complete oral cancer screening at each hygiene appointment.
- Examines gums using a perio probe to document recessed gums, bleeding and pocket measurements on all patient 13 years and above annually.
- Ensures all patients are current on their periodic exams and x-rays.
- Processes and develops clear diagnostic radiographs.
- Provides oral health education to all patients.
- Charts existing restorations on all new patients and updates watches, treatment and dental charting at each visit to include the correct provider.
- Performs a thorough cleaning to include removing build-up, calculus and stain from teeth and beneath margins of gums.
- Informs dentist of notable items/events/changes to patient’s oral health, medication list, medical history changes, etc.
- Ensures sealants are completed on first and second molars on children and when able applies sealants during their hygiene appointment before applying fluoride.
- Accurately documents and creates treatment plans and goes over treatment and cost with the patient or parent/guardian.
- Ensures the correct ICD 10 codes are entered into the dental superbill before walking the patient to the front desk.
- Has the follow up information noted in Expanse for the front desk to ensure the correct appointment is schedule for the next visit.
- Accurately adds ICD 10 codes into Open Dental to ensure it matches the dental superbill.
- Accurately creates and documents all information pertaining to the appointment in Open Dental with few corrections.
- All dental notes are completed in Open Dental before leaving each day to allow the provider to review and sign in a timely manner.
- Maintains high level of infection control through appropriate use of infection control barriers, appropriate clothing, avoiding cross contamination of sterile/disinfected with non -sterile/non disinfected, and follows OCHC policies on sterilization and disinfection.
- Ensures set up (to include appropriate instruments, air/water syringe, low/high speed suction, infection control barriers, etc) for patient visit is complete before seating patient.
- Maintains a full component of supplies in operatories at all times
- At all times safely and efficiently operates equipment and other processing devices including but not limited to radiographic equipment (IE Nomad/Pano/ScanX/Phosphor plates/Etc), Autoclave, Statim, Ultrasonic, curing lights, suction devices, hand pieces, vacuum, operatory units-air/water/power. And notifies provider or administrative lead of any issues promptly.
- Assists in dental screenings internal/external for special events/visits.
- Works well with other dental staff members as a team, watches all chairs at all time to jump in and helping turn over rooms, setup rooms, as well as pulling back patients, getting the intake completed and/or xrays to help out other staff.
- Wears radiation badge at all times and monthly updates badge using Instadose reading on the Ipad.
- Accurately documents and creates all referrals per Provider instruction ensuring their insurance is accepted and all x-rays are taken that are required and current.
- Ensure all clearance letters, pre-medication or any other documentation needed are in patients chart and documented appropriately in Open Dental before appointments.
- Ensure all follow up calls to patients, other clinics or medical providers are completed in a timely manner and documented.
- Assists with anesthetics or any other duties requested by the dental provider in a timely manner.
- Willingly travels to other dental locations in the area to fill in, assist or attend meetings.
- When downtime helps others out or finds work to stay busy.
- Attends and actively participates in Provider Meeting.
- Obtains signatures on dental consents for S&RP (per quad) or refusal for S&RP.
Education & Training
- Degree in Dental Hygiene
- Licensed and registered as a dental hygienist in the State of Missouri
Licensure & Certifications
- Currently licensed and registered as a dental hygienist in the State of Missouri
- Current BLS for Healthcare Providers CPR certification
- Local infiltration and block anesthesia license
- Must have a minimum of 3 years experience as a dental hygienist to be able to work in a public health setting
- Dental Director/CEO
Have a Question?
Email us anytime
Or call — 417-745-0103
Important Notice: Submitting this form is a secure method of communication. This form will generate a non-encrypted email to OCHC office staff. This form of email communication can be intercepted and viewed by third parties. For secure communication with your provider, please sign up and use our Patient Portal.
If you have a need to make an anonymous report, please contact our Corporate Compliance Hotline at 417-328-7565
This health center receives HHS funding and has Federal PHS deemed status with respect to certain health or health-related claims, including medical malpractice claims, for itself and its covered individuals.